Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Adios Buenos Aires, Hasta Luego. . .

This was my last week in Buenos Aires.

Things I have come to realize:

I want to live here. I really would love a new life here; with the same aesthetic offerings of New York City and other big cities, Buenos Aires is full of posibilities and opportunities. But it still has the most interesting and unique social and poltical isues that keep people aware and active, and also opinionated. There is actually a middle and working class here, hard to find in a lot of Latin American countries where the gap is large between the two. It would be an exciting struggle to stay here, and in the mean time, I would learn and gain a lifetime worth of new experiences.

This city is far more complex and rooted deep in latino culture than the European appearance allows it to admit. But it is still one of a kind for Latin America.

I want more. This trip has only further sealed my choice in becoming an anthropology major. I want to learn more about Latin America, its economics, its culture, infrastructures, superstructures, indigenous rights and life amongst globalizing continents, politics. . . .more, more and more. Yet, now I am ready to see and understand smaller cultures then big mega-cities. I can't wait for Anthropology at Berkeley!!

The United States has got it going on. I am very lucky to be from this place for the opportunities and pleasures it has offers. I am also very unfortunate and ignorant because of being so blocked out from the rest of the world. I am constantly embarassed by my superfluous conception of living. We definitely have a way higher standard of living, and alot of it is unnecessary. But, how can the people know this? Our day to day lifestyle revolve around the superfluoties. Its the responsibility of the public to educate themselves and for the power to inform us and make righteous decisions, something I can only hope (but pesimistically doubt) the future will hold for the United States.

I love my family. I really miss them and as I travel I realize how much I need to spend more time with them. I love meeting new people and being a nomad, but all the relationships I already have I appreciate and miss as well. I am also going to miss Ocean Beach and the Vine when I move. OB is my second home, and the Vine is my second family.

Enjoy the company of others, share happiness and travel with others can be fun. I am so not used to this, so this was a great a lesson for a lone-traveler.

. . . . .

It was so wierd knowing that our program was going to end so quick. In two months I came to know 28 other strangers so well, not to mention all of the other people I have met here. And all of a sudden, it was time to disperse in different directions and say goodbye. It was especially hard with the other people from San Diego. We all came together, experienced culture shock together and struggled through wierd and unforgettable times. So many moments here defined who I want to be and its hard to leave. Yet, after all the school work and all the time spent getting to know a foreign place, I am also ready to continue to explore more of South America.

Last weekend we went to Delta Del Tigre for our last Saturday. Its a little city north of Buenos Aires, and it houses a little river community along the Rio ParanĂ¡. We rode a boat along the Rio passing houses built on stilts over the river, for when the river rises during the wet season. Afterwards, we spent the day relaxing at a barbeque that was for us, on a little beach in Tigre, playng volleyball, drinking, swimming and kayaking. I had no idea it would be as rad as it was. I guess a lot of the rich own mansions around this area, but the actual river houses a little town with rustic and tranquil appeal. It was beautiful.


I was pretty much super student the rest of the week, typing three papers, journals, that last blog entry, and taking two spanish tests. Meanwhile, I still managed to go to a new park everyday. Thursday was my last Yoga class at "DeRose Yoga." I have been going for a few weeks and met some pretty amazing people, from Capoeira practicers, and even a guy from Texas that moved here three years ago to study spanish and never left! He was around the same age I am now, knew nothing about Yoga, and whose spanish apparently sucked. Now, he teaches classes in spanish and performs in professional Yoga performances. Because all of the classes were in spanish, I learned a lot, to say the least! They practice Swasthya Yoga, a "yoga antigua" or old style of yoga. If you want to see something unbelievable, youtube Swasthya Yoga. This was also an experience that really influenced me. Meeting John, the guy from Texas, made me realize how much I can really do if I want to.

Friday was our last day, and our last Life and Culture class. We were taught about the military regime of 1976-1983 and the "dirty war" I talked about in my last blog. We actually got to meet and interview a veteran of the Malvinas War between Argentina and England in the 1980s over the Malvinas/Falkland Islands. After, ECELA had a little graduation for us on the roof of the school. All of the professors came and most of them were actually sad to see us go. This is funny, because it seemed like they hated us for a while. It amazing how Americans grow on other people. We were the rowdy group that never studied or spoke spanish (only some of us gave the whole group this repuation). By the end, I guess they realized how much fun we "estadounidenses" can be. ('estadounidence' is spanish for United States citizen, they prefer this over "American" because obviously, all of those who live in North and South America are "americans") .

We spent our last night together getting dressed up for Halloween (most people here know what it is but don't celebrate it, and those who do are probably not from here). We partied with the director and danced with our teachers. Where can you go get a drink with your professors at? Or better, take shots of Peruvian whiskey "pisco" with them on the roof of the school? Only Buenos Aires? Or only not the US? haha hm. . . . I also got to practive my salsa moves with my Peruvian history teacher. Shes hilarious!
Dancing Salsa with Monica King, my Peruvian history professor

Saturday a bunch of friends I met here took me out for my last night. I met a very cool guy named Leo from the Domincan Republic a few weeks ago and he has been a tour guide for me. I will miss him alot-he's been a great friend, and also another person to speak the language with. Sunday was spent at an awesome fair in the historic part of the city, San Telmo. I also checked out La Boca, and got to dance some Tango in the streets. La Boca is so interesting, as it houses a lot of older history of Buenos Aires and also some of the most colorful scenes that are most recognizeable to tourists, including the famous "El Caminito"- second photo down. Ironically, Boca is also the poorest and most dangerous part of Buenos Aires, and it is here that you can notice the difference between the rest of the population of the city. The main distinction is skin color. Why is it that most of Buenos Aires is European is European in appearance with fair skin, while the darker skinned people are oppressed and concentrated into one area.? I started realizing towards the end of my stay the huge racist attitude that underlies Portenian life. . . . . . . At night, Jessie, Ryan and I went to Azucar for our last salsa class. It was sad and the whole staff wished us farewell. I will miss that place the most. Learning Salsa was one of the coolest things I could have done here!


Monday was my last night, and I experienced probably one of the top 5 nights here all together! I went to La Bomba del Tiempo near Belgrano. Its a huge drum concert that happens every Monday! I went with ECELA people, including a new good friend named Rocio. She is the events coodinator at ECELA, and is only 24, so its easy to hang out with and practice spanish with. I also bumoed into a girl from England I met the first week I arrived. Que coincidencia! Afterwards I danced Cumbia Colombiana at a house party with a bunch of Argentines I didn't know, and then got taken home by three cute Portenian girls. . . I love this city.

My host mother was very kind and offered me to stay Monday night for free. I will miss her a lot. We became really close and she taught me alot about Argentine life and the Spanish language. She kissed me on the cheeck good bye and gave me three chocolate candy bars for the road. On Tuesday before we all left, Ryan Robinsons host mother made us all a huge dinner before we got on the bus and gave us little gifts and snacks. These Argentine mothers are so kind! My host mom
Ryan Robinsons host mom


Things I will miss:

My bidet

The meat

Medialunas (croissants)


Kisses on the cheek

Salsa

Crazy cab drivers

Ferias


. . . . . Much more. . . . .


Now its off to the wine country of Mendoza. . . . I will be on the bus over night, so I won't hear about the elections until I arrive in Mendoza. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Obama!

1 comment:

Amy said...

It is really hard when you have to decided whether to stay in a country you liked like BA with so many exciting things to do and its activeness when it comes to social classes and economical trends or go back to your family and friends and the comfortable zone when you know exactly how your life it is going to be. When I was in Argentina I also felt in heaven. I had decided to rent an apartment in buenos aires so tha gave me freedom to do whatever I wanted. I had my party phase, then the working one, and then finally the missing one, in which I missed my family a lot. I was having a really good time there, learning a lot but I made the decision of returning. Nor I regret it because I miss life in BA. I wich I had not gone back!
Amy